Just a reminder that the 'Top Left Quadrant' group (see
here for info) opens this weekend. So far the following people have said they will definitely join (I think!):
Contingent Cassandra
Elizabeth Anne Mitchell
emmawriting
Jodi Campbell
Matilda
Propter Doc
and GoodEnoughWoman, luolin88 and phd me were thinking about it. Anyone else?
The guidelines (I have enough rules in my 'in the flesh' life, don't need more):
The group will formally open this weekend, and run until early September.
It is open to academic and academic-related people at all stages of the career path - if you work in a University, Higher Education Institution or University linked research institute and have some research/writing/scholarship aspect of your work that seems to fall into the top left quadrant however hard you try, the group is for you.
For this (first?) iteration, the group will adopt a familiar format, with a weekly report-in over the weekend (since most people probably think about planning matters and the week ahead most at the end of work Friday, on Sunday afternoon or first thing Monday morning), and a reporting format along the lines of 'goals for last week, achieved, analysis and goals for next week'. I suggest that in the first 'session' we set a couple of goals for the summer, which we can revisit later.
Sometimes there will be a discussion topic, sometimes there won't; I hope to pick up themes from the discussion in the comments, focusing on areas where maybe we can learn things from each other and share positives and encouragement - so in discussion one week we may commiserate ("whine", if you prefer) with someone about writer's block, and the following week's topic may be to ask for suggestions or stories about breaking through a writer's block.
People will no doubt miss weeks and blocks of weeks, since summer is like that. That is fine - just mention in your reporting in comment when you will next be back.
Goals can be about whatever is in the top left corner of your personal matrix and
analysis and discussion can be about whatever you like as long as it doesn't impugne the professionalism or suitability for the profession of other commentators, and in general acknowledges that everyone involved is a real human being - the level of manners has generally been excellent in the writing group, so I hope that will never be an issue, but I've been unpleasantly surprised recently so I wanted to say it up front.
Thank you for hosting JaneB! I am looking forward to joining this group, as well as the one at DEH.
ReplyDeleteMy big goal will be something like finding out a way to use time effectively to have more time to research, while teaching, grading, taking care of my children, and doing houseworks and so on. Setting goals and reviewing the result every week will certainly help me.
Hi,
ReplyDeleteif it's not too late I'd be interested in joining - I have a few papers that I need to get out of the door over the summer before I get thrown into teaching next year
Dave
Yes, of course, welcome!
DeleteI'm definitely in. My big goal is a full draft of the dissertation by the end of summer. If that doesn't happen, bad things will! (That's only slightly overly dramatic, given the supervisor/poverty situation.) Looking forward to a productive summer!
ReplyDelete