Thursday, January 29, 2015

More gems from marking

"Fires can occur as the result of arsenic" (arsonists?)

"Draughts are particularly bad for swamps" (droughts?)

"Invasive species make threatening gestures..."

"calcarous acidic rocks are common" (no, no they are not.  REALLY they are not!)

"My plan is to reserve a nature restorative" (restore a nature reservation?)

"An example of conflict is when Hitler and Starling fought over Europe in the WWW"

"very small features can be studied with an electric microbe" (electron microscope?)

"dying stuff becomes neurotic" (necrotic?)

"tectonic plants" (plates?) "move around the globe"

"in hot weather, cats adapt by malting their fur" (moulting?)

And some more beastiary entries:

"the Wigan duck" (Widgeon?  Wigan being an industrial town in northern England, this one amused me)

"the grizzled shipper" (I assume grizzled skipper butterfly, but hey, fandom is what it is...)

"the eagerlet" or "the baby eagle" (Egret)



4 comments:

  1. Does the Wigan Duck sit on Wigan Pier?

    The combination of rushing, misspelling and not quite homonyms is the fun art of exam grading. If it makes you laugh, it keeps you going.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's a nature reservation? Is that an England thing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of thought it was an American thing originally, an American word use ("native reservation" and the like in older books) - it's another phrase for Nature Reserve, a protected area where the basis for protection is some aspect of the natural world; though I think Nature Reserve is more correct, I wouldn't dock marks for the other

      Delete
  3. This is the most hilarious post ever! You had me laughing out loud in my office (where I go to pretend I am a serious scientist).

    ReplyDelete