Wednesday, October 04, 2017

Overheard

I live in a small house on a typical "northern street" where the front door opens directly onto the pavement (sidewalk for North American readers) with no buffering strip of front yard/garden.  The pavement is quite narrow, so when I'm behind the front door I'm literally only a foot or so away from the people walking past.  My street is also well positioned to be a cut-through from an area of cheaper housing/a medium-stay car park/the railway station to the main town centre shopping area, so on weekends (and evenings, sigh) there is a steady stream of passers-by.  This DOES mean I get some great "eavesdropping moments" though.

I was picking up some post from the door mat this weekend, stirred up some dust, and gave an almighty elderly-man-who-likes-attention kind of sneeze. 

Through the door, I hear a little child's voice pipe up, filled with amazement:
"DADDY!  That house sneezed!"
Daddy replied: "What do you say?"
Child: "Bless you, house"

There are so many awful things in the world, but there are also beautiful, hilarious things.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this beautiful, hilarious thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is, indeed, both lovely and hilarious (and apparently some parents are still teaching manners. At the very least, it can't hurt).

    ReplyDelete