Friday, February 22, 2013

Jan-Apr Writing group 2013 week 8

Hello everyone!  I hope you had a great week, with lots of writing, well-behaved and grateful students, and polite colleagues...

It's the middle week of the writing group, and for many of us it either is or feels like the middle, hard bit of the semester.  We've talked about some fairly serious topics lately, but February in the northern hemisphere is not a kind month, and most of the bloggers I read are finding life a bit grey and gloomy at the moment, with a forecast of more grading and less motivation on the horizon.  I've had what my students would call "a pants week" this week, and we aren't talking sartorially (since I always wear pants, at least of the underwear kind), finished off by a trip to the garage to check a minor car fault which turns out to be going to cost me about £400 if I'm lucky.  Sigh.  The one bright spot of the last few weeks has been discovering that following a new coffee shop franchise moving onto my campus I can now get my favourite brand of skinny chai, which makes the PERFECT reward after teaching a large early-morning statistics class in a hot and window-less classroom on the far side of campus but next to the new outlet - it's sad when the highlight of your week is an over-priced beverage, but still, skinny chai! 

So for this week, I propose talking about something a little more fun (although highly necessary): rewards!  I'm thinking about the little rewards along the way that help along the writing process, whether it's a fancy coffee-based beverage at your preferred writing hide-away or an afternoon spent lounging with a comforter, your favourite pet/plushie/person and a mind-candy book or junk-food TV after pressing 'SEND' on a submission or advisor-bound chapter.  Bonus points if recipes are involved... 

What little treats do you recommend as 'rewards' during the writing process, or as the perfect accessory for a 'date' with a complex bit of reading or a tricky few paragraphs?

Roll call:



Amanda@ladyscientist: (1) Schedule/outline experiments (2) Write shareable draft of preliminary data for Advisor's grant application, (3) Look at fellowship app requirements.
Amstr (writing account): 1) re-read/mark-up intro, 2) move stuff from intro, chapter draft, and conclusion into the right documents, 3) write 3 paragraphs on the critical theory. (Bonus: more writing.)
Another Postdoc/living academically: no goal set
Bardiac: this paper has to be drafted by Friday, or I need to withdraw from the conference
Contingent Cassandra: do additional planning (a rough outline with estimated word counts for each section would be a good outcome); begin research (i.e. locate/take out sources) for at least one section, and maybe more. Get into a M/W/Sa morning writing rhythm
Dame Eleanor Hull: One hour a day. Start checking the other chunk of translation and work on that for at least 1/2 hour, 3 times. Transcribe 6 lines of IPM.
Danne: 1) write at least a page of notes a day. 2) Go on spending 3 hours a day on research 3) Finish the book on space I'm reading 4) If a positive answer is received from the new uni, achedule a day off for reading, and celebrate.
Elizabeth Anne Mitchell: Read Chapters One and Two of Wendy Belcher’s Writing Your Journal Article.
emmawriting: no goal set
Good Enough Woman: Two early mornings of reading (an hour each), two hours of writing or article searching on Friday.
heu mihi: Same thing (start again): 5 hours (including reading); 3 days; prioritize writing on one day.
humming42: Apply for travel funding.
Jane B: 30 minutes of research related stuff on Tu, W and Th sometime during the day when I'm at the office rather than leaving it to the evening at home, which should be (at least in part) My Time
Jason: 1000 words-to-draft; 2 hours with analytic sources; 2 hours Ch. 4 markup; writing group post Friday.
Jodi: I'm going to shoot for 1500-2000 words to finish revising the introductory chapter. Incorporate 90 minute work blocks on TWRF.
kiwi2: Same as last week: work on the exotic synthesis. Break it down to: a) read and take notes on 5 of the relevant documents and b) incorporate these notes into the rough structure. And, touch it every day, even for 5 minutes.
kiwimedievalist/zcat_abroad: 1,000 words of article
luolin88: 15 minutes TWTh; 30 mins Friday and finish the reading and notetaking on Important Theory book and revisit my outline
Matilda: Finish the reading and notetaking on Important Theory book and revisit my outline
meansomething: 1) Four 12-minute sessions 2) One book ms. submission
metheist: Write 7 page conference paper.
nwgirl: Finish GT section and maybe even the chapter.
Pilgrim/Heretic: dare I try 2,000 more?
profacero (Z): NEH and one other application, 1 professional e-mail important, faculty activities report (scary), abstract for article and send to conference, those 500 words or more.
rented life: no goal set
sophylou: no goal set
Susan: no goal set
tracynicolrose: Read for Methods paper; start edits on BE findings; revise LM and TS papers for submission
Zabeel: Two further sections of ch. 6 finished.

77 comments:

  1. I'm early again! I've written a substantial portion of my paper, and gotten an extension until Monday to send in the finished draft. I have to thank the writing group for giving me incentive and helping me get going on reading the theory early, at least, since I needed a fair bit of mulling time to move from there to an argument.

    My reward, hopefully, will be a really interesting conference session!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, time for a Glow of Achievement! That sounds like a vary satisfying writing week.

      Delete
    2. Hurrah! Mulling time is, indeed, important, and I think that's one of the things we can gain by "touching" the project (did somebody use "patting" last session?) regularly, even if we don't have time to make all that much (visible) progress.

      Hope the conference goes well!

      Delete
    3. I hope things go well in the polishing process!

      Delete
  2. Goal: do additional planning (a rough outline with estimated word counts for each section would be a good outcome); begin research (i.e. locate/take out sources) for at least one section, and maybe more. Get into a M/W/Sa morning writing rhythm.

    Accomplished: completed rough outline with very rough word counts; began research (downloaded some sources; recorded call numbers for others associated with at least two sections; still need to go fetch those from stacks); wrote 500 words (bonus!); still working on rhythm (spent too much time writing on W -- despite our embrace of the 90-minute session! -- and researching on Th, throwing other stuff off, being somewhat offtrack at the end of last week impinged on M this week, and I know need to focus on other things this Saturday, lest the domino pattern continue).

    Analysis: overall, I'm pretty happy (or was until I checked in here and was reminded that we're halfway through; gulp. But I'm building some momentum, and it doesn't hurt to be reminded that Feb. is closer to over than I'd like to admit, which leaves me two very busy months away from my deadline). This is an interesting genre (a contribution to an "approaches to teaching" volume): the main body will probably be about equal parts close reading, pedagogical advice, and contextualization (historical, canonical, and to a less extent, in the scholarly conversation), and the introduction and conclusion are mostly framing devices (not nearly as important as if I were making a claim to original scholarship). Or so, at least, I've concluded after looking at some models, and what I have to do, and the space I have to do it; if anybody has experience writing (or reading) this genre, and has advice/suggestions to offer, I'd be most interested/grateful. So for the moment I'm working on drafting the close reading and pedagogical bits, while trying to run down various pieces of contextual information (and trying not to overdo that, while still making sure I'm not making a fool of myself by missing something I really should know if I'm going to claim any expertise on these texts). Drafting takes place mostly at home; finding sources mostly in odd moments on campus. For the moment, that seems to be working.

    Oh, and the food prepared a few weeks ago is proving most useful. I'm eating better, and even got around to taking a walk on Weds. So in case there was any doubt about the wisdom of that time investment (and there was none expressed here, as I remember), yes, it was worthwhile (and will probably prove more so as the semester wears on. In fact, I should spend a day or so during spring break, which is coming up in a few weeks, making sure I'm well-provisioned for the second half of the semester).

    Goal for next week: continue both research and drafting, writing on M, W, and Sa mornings, and researching/retrieving on at least one of Tu/Th (but not overdoing any of the above).

    Rewards: well, once I get into the rhythm of doing it regularly, a walk makes a very nice reward (it's actually pleasant when I'm not in the rhythm, but more likely to leave me sitting on the couch having trouble getting up and doing anything else when I'm not in the habit. Conversely, when I am in the habit, I have more energy overall). I also endorse chocolate, but as much as a way to keep energy/concentration up as as a reward (yes, this has its downsides, but I actually like the really dark stuff, and am fairly good at making a small quantity last, so I can tell/delude myself there are health benefits).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another Glow of Achievement for getting the work done! It can be really hard to set up a rhythm - either starting or stopping (or BOTH in a bad week) tend to be problematic for me. And yay for prepared food that makes life easier AND healthier...

      Delete
    2. Yes, how *did* it get to be the halfway point?

      Delete
    3. La la la la, I can't hear you, it's still early February, la la la la...

      Delete
    4. Three cheers for the mid-week walk! It feels good to attend to one's health and well-being, no?

      Delete
  3. Last week's goal: I'm going to shoot for 1500-2000 words to finish revising the introductory chapter. Incorporate 90 minute work blocks on TWRF.

    Achieved: Um, no.

    Analysis: As a rule, February is a terrible month for me and I have to struggle against my depression more so than normal. Not only is it cold and gloomy out, but I lost both of my grandmothers in February, years apart, but one's birthday was Valentine's Day, so it's even more difficult. It's a constant head game that I can't always escape. This week was the week it all caught up with me, it seems. Tuesday witnessed my utter collapse as a functioning human being and I've only been slowly recovering since then, just barely keeping up with my class. Normally, I'd try to write get some writing done this weekend and count that toward my goal, but I've got exams to finish grading and next week's lessons to plan and revise. So, I'm calling this week a loss and looking forward to starting over next week when, thankfully, it will be March. Hurray! (Well, hurray for March and also, holy crap, it's almost March! Where has my semester gone?)

    Next week's goal: 2,000 words

    Comment: Hmm...rewards. Great topic! My favorite rewards are a massage, facial, or mani/pedi or a new pair of shoes, but these days those things don't happen because I'm much too broke for them. Now I reward myself with baked goods because I love baking and it's a stress reliever for me. To get through grading, I also reward myself with ridiculous tv shows, like Gossip Girl, Vampire Diaries, and (now, this one is really embarrassing) anything Kardashian related after marking a certain number of tests, papers, or whatever.

    To earn those bonus points, here is my most recent baking conquest:

    http://www.simplysifted.com/2010/05/19/almond-ring-coffee-cake/

    It was so, so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, that looks like a lighter version of a stollen (which is possibly my favourite Christmas confection. In the top 5 anyway)... delicious! Mind you, I do tend to just eat the almond paste as it is...

      Sometimes just getting through a week's essential (the ones in the urgent AND important quadrant) tasks without seriously breaking down is a huge, huge achievement. And you made it! A weekend on teaching and a fresh start on writing next week (which is March, near as dammit) sounds like a good plan. Especially if there is any almond ring around to help...

      Delete
    2. I'm ok with giving myself a pass for surviving this week. It's over and, like you said, I made it! Next week is a brand new week and I have March to look forward to, after all.

      Of course you eat the almond paste! I eat the almond paste! Almonds are nothing but delicious. My next almond adventure is going to be this loveliness:

      http://www.domesticsluttery.com/2013/02/gluten-free-cherry-amaretto-roulade.html

      Delete
    3. I second JaneB's point that sometimes just making it through the week is an achievement. Knowing that certain times of the year are hard (and remembering that things get better as the days lengthen) is also useful knowledge.

      As for baked almond things, these are very good, quick/easy, and fairly healthy (I second many reviewers' advice to halve the sugar, and there's no need to blanch the almonds):

      http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Almond-Macaroons-14019

      I'm pretty sure one could play with different combinations of nuts and spices/flavorings (and one could dip the almond ones in melted chocolate, if one chose).

      Delete
    4. Have you ever tried making marchpane? Home-made almond paste, made into shapes and lightly baked so there's a crispier shell and a little hint of caramalised sugar around the almond paste... MMMMMM! Will try to find a recipe on line or if not I might just need to post my own.

      Delete
    5. I haven't made marchpane, but someone made it for me once and it was so tasty. If I can remember who it was, I'll get their recipe.

      I haven't made macaroons before, but I don't know why. I love them. And who wouldn't want to dip their macaroons in melted chocolate? Chocolate makes everything better!

      Delete
    6. I love almonds! And what you're talking sounds so delicious.....

      Delete
  4. Last week's goals: One hour a day. Start checking the other chunk of translation and work on that for at least 1/2 hour, 3 times. Transcribe 6 lines of IPM.

    Achieved: yes, at least an hour a day. Translation: the team got restless, so rather than continue Chunk 2 on paper, I typed up the changes to Chunk 1 and sent it off; since that would have had to be done sometime, I count this as a win. I transcribed 7 lines of the IPM. Also I have written a couple more topic sentences for MMP-1.

    Analysis: I've wound up a little frustrated because I haven't done much in creative /conceptual work, but I am happy about making clear and measurable progress on the more mechanical tasks. I got turned down, again, for the fellowship I keep applying for, and just turned that into a spur to "show them." I have no doubt about the value of the project, or my ability to do it. As long as I keep moving forward, it'll all be fine.

    Next goals: At least 1 hour a day; 10 lines of the IPM; start checking Chunk 2 of the translation (at least 1/2 hour, 3 times); check in at least once with MMP-1, MMP-2, and MMP-3, and try to do one concrete thing for each of them (this can be something as small as "write one sentence").

    Topic: most timely, since last week's drew my attention forcibly to the extent to which the February blahs have undermined my ability to concentrate on work. A year ago (I think only one year ago; maybe two), I had a good writing addiction going. So I have been trying to re-train myself with a two-pronged approach. One, I am trying to be more aware of what I am feeling and what I need when I take breaks. The point is not that I should not take breaks or not look at stuff online, but that I should be aware of what I need and try to satisfy that need, rather than defaulting to some activity that proves unsatisfying yet which I find hard to stop because I haven’t yet satisfied some unarticulated need. So if I'm looking for inspiration, I might turn to my collection of books by writers about writing, instead of to the internet; if I'm bored with mechanical tasks, I might do better with a chapter of space opera or something else lively; if I'm getting stiff, then it's time to move. Two, I'm using Skinner's principles to reward desired behavior and try to extinguish the less desirable behavior. Small rewards for small actions are most effective; so, a piece of chocolate, a cup of tea, a handful of dried fruit, self-praise, little things that can be enjoyed at my desk while I am doing work. Big end-of-the-day, -week, or -project promises don't work on me. That "motivational" poster that reads "Hard work often pays off over time, but procrastination always pays off now" was made for me. OTOH, any little thing that provides instant gratification is really useful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The point is not that I should not take breaks or not look at stuff online, but that I should be aware of what I need and try to satisfy that need, rather than defaulting to some activity that proves unsatisfying yet which I find hard to stop because I haven’t yet satisfied some unarticulated need."

      This resonates for me. I think one of the trickiest things about the internet is its unpredictability. Sometimes you can go online for 10 minutes, find something diverting (but not too distracting), and feel satisfied; sometimes you keep clicking because there's nothing that really fills whatever need you were feeling. Even the daily paper, though somewhat unpredictable, offers more predictable satisfactions; at the very least, there are always the comics, and some of them will be good. I like the idea of trying to identify some better material for reading breaks (as well as trying to identify other sorts of satisfying breaks, and how long they tend to take).

      Delete
    2. That resonates with me too. And congratulations on progress - the duller stuff is the necessary foundation for the creative/conceptual work (and for me, the spark for creative/conceptual work often happens away from my desk, but after doing a bunch of the other stuff, like a little reward all on its own...)

      Delete
    3. Yes. This is the trap I fall into when I get distracted by the internet sometimes for hours on end. I don't feel any better for the diversion and usually I feel worse because I've lost so much time and not made progress on whatever I'm supposed to be doing. I'm working on taking better breaks, though, to actually refresh.

      Delete
    4. That's such a great way to articulate it, Dame Eleanor. Sometimes my breaks work, and sometimes they just leave me feeling emptier (and therefore guilty for having wasted them). I hadn't thought of being more attentive to what it is I'm really after. Thanks for that insight!

      Delete
  5. Goals: NEH and one other application, 1 professional e-mail important, faculty activities report (scary), abstract for article and send to conference, those 500 words or more.

    Done: 1 professional e-mail important, faculty activities report (scary), work toward the others.

    Commentary: Mainly I got over the last edge of my depression, or whatever it is, I think. I somehow transformed myself this week.

    Goals for next week: NEH, 1 other application, update vita, abstract for conference, and those 500 words or more.

    Rewards: from my perspective there is something too sickly and insipid and infantilizing in the whole idea. I believe in living well whether you "deserve" it or not, and I am working on a salary and not for little "rewards."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely get a Glow of Achievement for transformation...

      and yeah, there is something a bit 'immature' - or at least child-like - about little rewards, you're right. For me, it's child-like - acknowledging my not-entirely-grown-up nature and having fun with it - rather than childish - something I should strive not to need - but that sort of distinction is going to be a matter of personal history and semantics, isn't it? I see living well as being about mixing little bits of the good stuff - treats, rewards, things that are entirely enjoyable - all the way through everything else, not separating them out as something you have to 'earn' through some major achievement. Now, slightly delayed gratification - write this paragraph then take that walk - is something that I find very helpful because it makes me address some of the things I want to do less of, including procrastinating, feeling powerless and feeling as if nothing I do is ever sufficient... maybe when I'm a real adult I'll not need to work on those things! If that ever happens...

      Delete
  6. P.S. though, on the rewards thing: I find it most productive to plan life around fun. Then you fit the work in, which enriches you literally and metaphorically. The work is for money and intellectual enrichment and professional development. The fun is not negotiable -- you don't get it in exchange for work, and it should not be canceled for the sake of work.

    Food and drink especially should not be used as "rewards" -- you should not withhold or overindulge in these things, it will ruin your health in the end.

    Forsooth, the whole gestalt of rewards is ultimately punitive and I repeat: live as well as you can now, it might be good for your work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like this philosophy. One does have to be careful, in trying to figure out the whole business of motivation, not to engage in self-infantilization (somehow appointing an inner parent to dole out stickers or food -- which, yes, really shouldn't be used as a reward/means of discipline. Foucault is lurking somewhere in this discussion, I suspect).

      Better, I think, to observe one's own patterns, and try to work with the productive habits that already exist (while seeking to tweak/retrain, not punish, the less productive ones).

      Delete
    2. Oh, I so hear you on not using food and drink as rewards. No criticism implied of those of you for whom it works, but I already lean too far in that direction anyway, and it doesn't work well for me. Or, it works in small doses, but I have to be very careful lest actual hunger fall down to about the eighth-ranked reason why I eat. (after "it's time for a break, I deserve a treat, I need a distraction," etc.)

      Delete
  7. Amstr here:
    Feb 18: 1) re-read/mark-up intro, 2) move stuff from intro, chapter draft, and conclusion into the right documents, 3) write 3 paragraphs on the critical theory. (Bonus: more writing.)

    Accomplished: re-read/marked up intro; revised Ch. 2, added figures, sent to writing partner; wrote 400 words of Ch. 4 intro (which is now Ch.1, but I will continue to call Ch. 4); cut up draft of Ch. 4 and put different in Ch. 4rev and conclusion documents.

    Analysis: Wow! What a difference not being sick makes! I got my Ch. 2 back from 2ndary advisor early in the week, and he was not enthusiastic. My primary advisor has been really supportive, and I’ve been remarkably not depressed about it. I’ve done a quick revise and sent it off to my writing partner. I’m hoping with another couple iterations it will be passable (even though the 2ndary advisor recommended a full rewrite).

    The project of changing my organization to a more traditional structure has been a good one. I’m feeling positive about it, and I’ve made some headway. I’ve also figured out my opening section, and I feel like I have a lot of material I can work with; much of it seems obvious to me, but I keep reminding myself to write for the fourth year grad student who read these works her first year (intelligent but forgetful).

    My mini-writing retreat this week came at a perfect time. Being out of my house and in a beautiful place where other people take care of my children nearby has been perfect. Having the time set aside to work with no other expectations has been really motivating too. I’ve been thankful for the 90-min article/conversation as it reminded me to take breaks and think of the work in smaller, less overwhelming chunks. (Re-reading my own work and noting that it sounds intelligent helps too.) Now I’m back to lots of clutter and a major landscaping project (and by major I mean our entire lot front and back).

    I also started reading Patrick Dunleavy’s Authoring the PhD Thesis, which is helping me think about my overarching research question, etc. (why is it so hard to formulate my own research question? and so easy to formulate others’?)

    Next goals: 2500 words of Ch. 4; type changes to intro and rewrite chapter summaries; 500 words of conclusion; photocopy ILL and organize research for Ch. 4. (Bonus: type up some notes.)

    Topic: The best reward is a brisk walk, but I’ll also take a row of knitting or some kind of tea/snack. In some ways these are just breaks, but they’re also little celebrations of accomplishments. Like Profacero, I don’t tend to withhold these rewards, but use them to help pace myself and keep my mind focused for the duration of the task.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's a lot of progress! Congratulations!

      I hope your primary advisor can help you keep the 2ndary one's expectations in check. "Passable" really is a perfectly fine standard for a dissertation. Full rewrites can come later, in an article and/or book (or is this the chapter that already *is* an article? If so, all the more reason not to labor over the diss. version, which nobody is going to bother to retrieve if they can find the article more easily).

      Delete
    2. Definitely another Glow of Achievement on its way here - sounds like you had a great week and things are starting to come together well. And that in itself is the best reward, isn't it?

      Delete
    3. Congratulations on all that you managed! Very impressive!

      Delete
    4. So glad you had a good week! It sounds like you got an amazing amount of work done--thinking, organizing, problem solving, writing. Fantastic!

      And I don't know why it's so hard for you to formulate your research question. You've always been very good at formulating mine. ;)

      Delete
  8. goal for this week: 30 minutes of research related stuff on Tu, W and Th sometime during the day when I'm at the office rather than leaving it to the evening at home, which should be (at least in part) My Time
    achieved: two lots of 30 minutes. I finished up the redraft of the results and methods, for the moment - I'm still not at all sure whether this one bit of analysis really adds anything to my argument, but I've decided to keep it in and ask a colleague about it once I have a draft that they can read.
    analysis: everything fell apart after Wednesday afternoon when I got really really stressed, but I did find 30 minutes on both Tuesday and Wednesday, and it worked well. In some ways this paper should be SO easy to get rid of... nearly all the difficulties are in my own head.
    goals for next week: find 30 minutes every day that I am in the office for something research related. There are a lot of things that are becoming urgent or that need a bit of attention or touching, so I won't pick anything specific to focus on - there's a lot of pick from!
    the topic: Rewards are about mixing up the good bits, about making sure that there are things that are rewarding - which can also be good for you, of course - mixed in with the rest of the things that need doing in a day. For me, I need to consciously make an effort to include them, and not to allow myself to fall into 'don't deserve it/didn't earn it/jam tomorrow' thinking. And I have food issues anyway... but that said, I think the rewards concept is a useful and fun way of structuring self-care and regular breaks into my work - I need to eat healthy snacks, I need to take a break from the computer, if I choose to see wandering into the kitchen and preparing and eating a pear as a reward for having just spent half an hour writing rather than just part of my routine and it helps me feel better about myself, then great! Like most people, my child self was raised with rewards - whether that was a trip to the library or choosing whether my mum made pasta or stew for dinner or a biscuit in place of a piece of fruit or whatever - as part of the parental arsenal for shaping the child. And one way to think about the ongoing process of growing up and self-management is about getting to know and use the talents of ones inner selves - the child self, the shadow-self, the sloth-self, whatever - AND tending to their needs. If my inner child responds to a treat now and then, that's SO much better than her constantly thinking she's not doing enough...

    Darn, this was meant to be a light and fun topic! On the fun side, rewards I find work: a walk round the block, finding a private spot and doing some stretching exercises outdoors (a great one when working at home, as I have a small yard which isn't much overlooked but hardly go into it at this time of year), taking a little time to not just have a snack but to present it nicely (e.g. cutting up a pear, removing the core, arranging the slices nicely on a plate, maybe adding a crumble of feta, then sitting somewhere comfortable to eat it) or brewing some tea with my full attention on the process, reading a chapter of a familiar book (I have trouble stopping if I read part of a new book!), playing with my cat, doing a clearly defined 'domestic' task (e.g. empty the dishwasher at home, make 20 copies of a handout or file this week's teaching notes at the office). Chocolate, or almost any farinaceous food item, as long as there is only a small piece or single item available. Visiting one of my favourite web-comics and re-reading a scene or two. Knitting a row or two (though I also find that hard to stop). And now I realise how few of these I have actually used in the last week, and am contemplating making a list and maybe even having a goal of doing all of them at least once...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you on the whole idea of rewards. The things I do for a break (other than the internet trap), like walking my dog, washing dishes or even baking a cake that my father devours, are all things that I would need to do anyway. It's just a matter of reframing my perception of them as a rewarding break, rather than moving on from writing/grading/planning lessons to do another type of work. If my inner child gets excited about getting to do the dishes, well, that is a sick little child, but at least it helps motivate me to continue plugging away.

      Delete
    2. Profhacker has a post this week on tracking habits (it focuses on apps for doing so, which might be a bit of overkill, but similar principles apply to good reward/rest/rejuvenation habits, and I like the idea of tracking those): http://chronicle.com/blogs/profhacker/tracking-habits-on-the-go/46399 .

      P.S. I promise I don't work for Profhacker, even though I keep referencing it; it's just one of the blogs I tend to catch up with over the weekend.

      Delete
    3. Oh, I really, really like that idea of reframing necessary things as rewarding breaks. If I approach it the right way (i.e. not waiting until it absolutely has to be done), I do find it really satisfying to empty the dishwasher or fold laundry or get ahead on other domestic tasks. I love thinking of those as constructive breaks!

      That's kind of the same that's happened in our house with the mail, since we have a group mailbox about half a block away. It used to be a minor hassle to put on shoes and jacket and go out to get the mail (or at least my spouse and I used to see it that way). But then we joined a campus "pedometer challenge," where we're trying to reach 10,000 steps a day, and now we fight over who *gets* to go get the mail, or we go out a little early to increase the likelihood that it won't be there yet and we'll have to go again. It's become a nice excuse to get up and go outside for a few minutes, and earn some steps.

      So, lesson from this week: turn tasks into rewards!

      Delete
    4. Good on you Jane B for your success with short research efforts! It sounds like you are getting over your semi-slump with a paper that is definitely moving forward!
      Kiwi2

      Delete
    5. I saw that ProfHacker article this week and initially though using an app to track my habits was a bit excessive. Technology overload and all that. But, I've been reconsidering it some because I do want to incorporate those 90 minute work blocks and the better rest/rejuvenation breaks into my schedule. A to-do list works really well for me because I love checking things off as complete, so I'm thinking of giving it a shot. I'll let you all know how it goes if I do.

      Delete
  9. Last week: 1) write at least a page of notes a day. 2) Go on spending 3 hours a day on research 3) Finish the book on space I'm reading 4) If a positive answer is received from the new uni, achedule a day off for reading, and celebrate.

    1) Mon 2, Thu 1, Fri 2, Sat 3. 2) 2.75 hours a day on average, so I'm almost there. 3) Done. 4) Some administrations are just not very efficient - still waiting.

    Analysis: I am getting over the difficult time I had last semester and am working seriously at last! There is room for improvemen,t but I want to learn how to enjoy mself as I work, instead of always pushing forward.

    Next week: 1) write at least a page of notes a day. 2) Go on spending 3 hours a day on research 3) Write a short presentation for the doctoral group 4) If a positive answer is received from the new uni, achedule a day off for reading, and celebrate.

    Commentary: Like profacero, I am wary of rewards and other behaviourist principles. I want pleasure to derive from the work itself as much as possible, and certainly don't want it to be conditional on productivity. I make sure I walk every day, switch tasks after a couple of hours, enjoy nice coffee breaks, and make time for novels and fiction writing in my days. However (as a literary scholar) the line between work and leisure is increasingly blurring, and that is exactly what I want to nurture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on continuing to be productive! I can see where you're coming from with wanting the work to be a pleasure and to be seamlessly integrated, but from my own experience, the downside of that is that when the work becomes truculant or something goes very wrong with it, there is very little left unaffected by that. May you never need to experience that! :-)

      Delete
    2. I have had such experiences, and it takes time to get over it. But I do try to get back to the meaning which I had invested in the work, rather than its recuperation by other forces which I do not control. It is very important, of course, to find pleasure outside of work. I just do not make it conditional on productivity.

      Delete
  10. Goals: 1) 1000 words-to-draft - ACTUAL, ~400 (+ a 250 freewriting session)
    2) 2 hours with analytic sources - DONE +1 hour
    3) 2 hours Ch. 4 markup - DONE
    4) writing group post Friday - at least it's not Monday!

    Analysis: By the numbers I might call this a 75% week, but it wasn't really. More like 55%-60% with some of my research hours spent gazing blearily into the middle distance. I am poised, however, to turn the random pieces I've written the past few weeks into a single chunk of chapter draft.

    On Topic: I don't really do rewards for my research. Haven't really though of it before because I'm usually beating myself up about lack of focus, or production, or adequate rigor, or ... When I do reach a worthy goal, my reward is a tasty aged beverage. I do need to be better to myself like profacero and Danne. Most of my leisure activities are better classified as procrastination than mental health-promoting relaxation.

    Next Week: 1000 words-to-draft; make damn sure that goal #1 is prioritized; 2 hours with analytic sources; 2 hours with contextual sources

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 55% is more than half, so enjoy that thought at least! It's really frustrating how much writing time can be spent beating yourself up... I guess for me the 'rewards' habit is at least partly an effort to challenge and counter that 'you are rubbish' frame of mind... though if you have the right metabolic response to alcohol then a tasty aged beverage will do the job without any reframing!

      Delete
    2. That's exactly what I use "rewards" for, JaneB. Like Jason, I beat myself up quite a bit (what grad student doesn't?) Reframing other tasks as rewards has helped because I still get to be and feel productive with my work and I get an extra boost of self-esteem because I can look around and see all the other tasks that I've also accomplished because I treated them like rewards. Of course, when all that is done, I may still reward myself with an aged beverage, too. I'm no Puritan!

      Delete
    3. Sadly consumption of aged beverages is not compatible with my medication and also even before I took anything made me rapidly become paranoid and sorry for myself! Hence the comment about needing 'the right metabolic response' - my alcohol-avoidance is purely Being Sensible (two words I dislike a lot). Farinaceous carbohydrates are calming at least...

      Delete
  11. Last week: I sort of reluctantly aimed for 2,000 words, trying to goad myself on.

    Accomplished: 1,500 words, which is what I'd wanted to do each week this semester in the first place, so I declare a Glow of Achievement. And that's a nice reminder that I am much more motivated by reasonable smallish goals than I am by the ones that are just a hair beyond my reach.

    Next week: 1,500 words. (See? I learn.)

    Analysis: One of the big things I learned from last semester's writing group was to think of writing as something I valued and was fortunate to be able to do, rather than something that was a burden. So I try to reward myself for keeping all the parts of my life in balance (writing, teaching, food, exercise, socialization) rather than treating myself for having gotten through something unpleasant.

    In all honesty, that's been the biggest draw of the writing group. I have discovered that informal praise and recognition are giant motivators for me; I have a running joke with some of our committee chairs that I'll do pretty much anything for a pat on the head and a cookie. So when I realize on a Saturday afternoon that I haven't quite hit my writing goal yet, I'll sit down and write for an hour just for the pleasure of reporting in and getting some recognition of my Glow of Achievement. :) You, friends, are my biggest reward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a Glow of Achievement on its way!

      I also rediscovered the 'writing is its own reward' (and 'writing/research is a treat amidst the paperwork') mindset in the last iteration of the writing group and, although I'm not being terribly productive (yet! I hand over the second year statistics for all group in three weeks' time...), it is definitely an important tool

      Delete
    2. Another Glow of Achievement for you! Congratulations!

      I think I've reached a turning point in my dissertation where I'm starting to see writing as its own reward. Despite this week's setback I am looking forward to getting back to the dissertation this week and that is something I haven't been able to say for a very, very long time.

      Delete
    3. I love how you boldly claimed your achievement award! I can also really relate to your efforts at balance.

      Delete
  12. Last week: work on the exotic synthesis. Break it down to: a) read and take notes on 5 of the relevant documents and b) incorporate these notes into the rough structure. And, touch it every day, even for 5 minutes.

    Accomplished: hysterical laughter. One day in a meeting about the exotic synthesis, which actually did help to get the ideas together in my head; another day with a one hour meeting about the exotic synthesis, which was at least productive, othewise nada. Theonly words on paper are meeting minutes (which however might help!).

    Analysis: I have been writing a grant proposal which I have spent weeks on, was supposed to be finished, and then reared up and bit me on the backside again. How can proposals do this to you? Turn your back for a second. . .So, this week could either be mega-productive or a complete waste of time. Who knows? Meantime, all my goals are now out by another week again!

    Next week: same goal as last week.

    Rewards: I'm really interested in Profacero's comment about life and rewards. When stressed, I tend to offer myself slices of life as a reward for achieving goals (e.g., I'll go to a particular fun event with the kids if I can complete this piece of work, perhaps go to the movies or a bike ride), which, on reflection, I think is totally screwed. I am thus trying to work towards having a life, and being happier and more creative as a result, and thus more productive with higher quality work. I don't know yet if its working. . . Other rewards- definitely, going for a 5 minute walk, also 5 minutes in a bookshop which is however generally fatal as I cannot spend 5 minutes in a bookshop.
    Kiwi2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. five minutes in a bookshop??? I can't even IMAGINE five minutes in a bookshop. I can't even spend just five minutes on Amazon...

      Any piece of work can lull you into a false sense of control then start acting like an octopus with poisoned tentacles and a psychotic personality [side note: I discovered recently that octopi now have their OWN SECTION on the university ethical approval form, so I now have to slemnly declare that any proposed research activity will not affect any octopi. Which of course makes me laugh because all my projects go tentacular...)... very frustrating though! Good luck on at least getting those five minute sessions in the coming week.

      Delete
    2. Five minutes in a bookshop? Thanks for making me laugh!

      I get where you're coming from that the whole "slices of life as a reward" is completely screwed up. That's where I am at this point in my life, though, and I just try to keep reminding myself that it's not forever. It's just temporary.

      Delete
    3. Five minutes in a bookshop would only be satisfying if I only wanted the smell of books. But usually, I want more than that. :)

      Delete
  13. Goal: Two further sections of ch. 6 finished.

    Achieved? Yes.

    Analysis: a frustrating week on many fronts. Goal only achieved because I worked a good chunk of the weekend, which is not really my style. I feel like I'm so close to the end and have so many other things on (and coming up) that I really don't want to fall behind.

    Next week: Finish chapter 5.

    Topic: I was struggling to think of specific rewards I give myself for finishing specific tasks. Only when I read through some of the other comments did I realise why this is. I, too, don't like to feel that I'm bribing myself to do something, perhaps because it then suggests that I am spending much of the day forcing myself to do something I don't want to do. The "doing" and the "getting it done" should be ends -- and rewards -- in themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on getting there - one Glow of Achievement on its way over the interwebs! Sometimes it's worth taking a short-term hit to keep things on track, isn't it? Mind you, I'm trying to convince myself of that as I look at a stack of essays and try to decide whether it's better to mark them this evening or tomorrow...

      Delete
    2. I stopped regularly working weekends a few years ago when I realised that not having a break tended to impact the following week's work. So the proof of this pudding will be in the ... check in next week.

      Delete
  14. Goal: Apply for travel funding

    Achieved: Not at all.

    Analysis: I got hit with OBE this week in my department that brings on disarray and uncertainty. I’m not sure what will happen, so my goal is to just stay focused on my own projects and priorities. I did get IRB approval, so I may spend some time building the survey for launch. Seems like a project that could be a good distraction.

    Next week’s goal: I really do still want to apply for travel funding this week. But I won’t kick myself if I don’t get it done, considering the circumstances.

    Rewards: I used to reward myself with books, but lately I have a growing pile of untouched books that I look at longingly. And I realize I seldom reward myself for getting things done. Maybe that’s something I should change?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch for the OBE, not fun! Hoping next week is better...

      Delete
  15. Last week's goal: Write 7 page conference paper.

    Achieved: not finished yet. I have about half of it done right now . . . rough draft that is.

    Analysis: I didn't want to check in today because I hadn't finished my paper. The only reason why it is not done is because I had a mental meltdown this week. Seriously, how hard can it be to write 7 pages in a week. I have had writer's block for two years now. I am so tired of it. However, today is dedicated to finishing it, and finish it I will.

    Next week's goal: T/R 3hrs.

    Rewards: I have a hard time with reward systems. Always have. Too often I do my reward before my work. Before I moved to my most recent school, I would work, then go for a walk to get a coffee--usually with a friend. That allowed me to have social interaction, exercise, and a mental break. Here, there isn't a good coffee place within easy walking distance, different group of people, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  16. "how hard can it be to write 7 pages in a week"? Very, very hard sometimes. Incredibly easy other times. This to me is part of the fascination of writing, I like unpredictable things even when they are frustrating me hideously. Take a minute to praise yourself for getting a rough draft of some of it! Overcoming the blank page and making a start is an achievement in its own right, especially when you've had a tough few years with writing. Hoping today's writing goes well, and that you can at least take a walk then make yourself a fancy beverage when done!

    When I first moved to NorthernUni the coffee shops only served cheap instant decaf, and I'm mildly caffeine intolerant so lost my handy 'fancy coffee break' tool/pleasure. So I bought some of those extravagent one-cup filter coffee pod things that you sit on a cup and put hot water through, which make really nice coffee, in decaffeinated (also - although they are kind of wasteful, the used pods make good pots for plant seedlings since they have moisture retention and drainage from the filter bit), brought one of my favourite mugs into the office, and treated myself to a slightly fancier coffee when I needed a decent break that way. Now there IS decent decaf in the coffee shop, and the staff room where I used to make and consume my fancy coffee has become much less pleasant a place to hang out in (different mix of colleagues), so I am back to taking a walk. Is the lack of social interaction with colleagues adding to the writer's block, do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While most people here are pleasant, and I do have a couple of friends, I miss my old "coffee posse." We really became a family, so I think part of the problem is that I am mourning the loss of my friends. I used to work in coffee shops, but for some reason, Cafe Nero and Costa have spoiled me for American shops.

      Thanks for the understanding!!!

      Delete
    2. As someone who stared at her dissertation files without writing anything other than conference papers for almost exactly two years, I feel your pain. I really do. I would have breakdowns all the time over the crippling writers' block that I just couldn't move past, no matter what advice people tried to give me or how many times I hear, "just write it!" That last one would make me want to punch people in the face. It still does, actually. If it writing was that easy, I would have written it already. For that matter, if writing was that easy, this writing group wouldn't exist. So, as trite and annoying as it sounds, bird by bird, word by word is the only advice I can give. When I finish my dissertation, I'm sending Anne Lamott a thank you card for that book because it surely wouldn't get done without it.

      Delete
  17. Goals: finish the paper. The conclusion in particular, and revise footnotes.

    Achieved: revised my conclusion part, but not finished yet.

    Analysis: a funeral on the day I had planned to work. She was our former colleague, who retired early because of the mortal sickness. We knew the day would come, but not so soon like this.

    Next goal: read a few articles and revise my conclusion. revise footnotes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done on getting SOME work done after being OB an E like that - much sympathy to you and your colleagues.

      Delete
  18. 1: last week's goals.
    15 minutes TWTh; 30 mins Friday
    Finish the reading and notetaking on Important Theory book
    revisit outline

    2: what you achieved.
    Tasks: Read but did not finish the Theory Book; didn't look at my paper.
    Time: TW: nada
    Thurs: 30 minutes reading
    Friday: about 70 minutes reading, taking notes.

    3: analysis/comment of what worked and what didn't.
    I have fallen into the trap of posting goals that I *should* be able to meet, rather than realistic goals.

    4: next week's goals.
    30 minutes Friday.

    5: comments on the weekly topic or whatever you want to discuss.
    I promise myself a reward at the end of the day, but then I don't do the work I've planned so I either skip the fun or do it and feel guilty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Realistic goals are definitely handy, but SO hard to set sometimes. You did achieve SOME work, so that's a win right there...

      Delete
  19. Last week's goals: Read for Methods paper; start edits on BE findings; revise LM and TS papers for submission

    Accomplished: Very little. I did start revising the TS paper for submission. While I made some progress I'm still pretty far from finished. Did not get to Methods or BE. I did come up with an idea for an abstract due next week but haven't written it out yet. I also conducted an interview and write up my notes for my new study, which I wasn't expecting so that counts as engaging with my research, if not actually writing.

    Analysis: Definitely an OBE week and next week is going to be even worse. My son moved away last weekend and, while I didn't stop working, my heart really wasn't in it. I also have a number of students that have significant events (dissertation defenses & proposals, comps, etc) so I feel bad putting my work ahead of theirs when they are facing these deadlines. Next week I have literally zero time to do anything (including grading or responding to students) on Monday - Thursday do to back-to-back meetings. This means Friday is the first I can hope to do any work and it will probably be grading. I'm going to keep my goals really small in the hopes I can achieve something before the end of next Sunday.

    Next week's goals: Work a little on the TS paper so it doesn't go stale, write the final abstract.

    Comments: Normally I reward myself for doing work that I don't like (grading and administration) with doing work that I do like (writing). I don't think that is really going to be possible for the next few weeks. I can't reward myself with sweets or alcohol (normal preferences) because I've had to cut them from my diet due to migraines. My other big reward is usually a novel but there is definitely no time for that until later in the semester.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it frustrating when there's no reading time? I hate putting off my fiction/mind candy indulgences, especially as the time when I most need them is in the middle of a stressful semester...

      Delete
  20. Last week’s goal: Read Chapters One and Two of Wendy Belcher’s Writing Your Journal Article.

    Accomplished: Finished Chapter One.

    Analysis: Although I didn’t meet the goal, I don’t feel too bad about it. I had a meeting with my boss, who suggested that I concentrate on articles that I could crank out more quickly. She diminished the sting of my dismay by offering to work together on the next two articles. Since she is a mover and shaker in my neck of the library world, I accepted her generous offer.

    The only downside is transporting myself back to square one, but I’m okay with that. So I went through WYJA with the new topics in mind.

    Goal for next week: Read Chapter Two of Wendy Belcher’s Writing Your Journal Article.

    Topic: Like many others have mentioned, my love/hate affair with food negates it as a reward. I do like the idea of making the timing of tasks that have to be done with “reward” breaks. The variety of doing something different lends a halo effect to both tasks.

    Dame Eleanor mentioned in the fall group that my avoidance breaks of computer games and watching TV can be used in moderation, and I have been successful at scheduling a fifteen minute break to play a computer game, or a half-hour to watch a TV show.

    My most successful rewards, however, are things I find satisfying on some deeper level, for example, knitting the wool socks that will keep my toes warm in my basement office, or reading a friend’s book for constructive criticism.

    While saving for a trip to the British Library, I managed to tie pages written to the reward of putting more money away in the “BL” fund, but I’ve let that lapse. It might work again for some other large expense.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like progress, even if it wasn't quite what you planned...

      Delete
  21. Goal: Two early mornings on M and W; two hours of writing (or article searching) on Friday.

    Accomplished: I did my early mornings, but on Friday I got distracted by the possibility of a small and shiny new writing project. Also, I was packing for a weekend trip with the family.

    Analysis: Bummed that Friday was sort of a wash, but I'm still excited about maybe doing the small, shiny project. It's a conference paper, but before I commit, I have to see if I could actually attend the conference. As for my dissertation chapter, I'm at a weird little stopping point that, if I'm not careful, could lead to a stall.

    Next week: Two early mornings, M and W, an hour each. I should probably focus on re-reading the chapter to find big whole and problems with what I've writing so far. Also, two hours of article research on Friday.

    Commentary: When I first read profacero's comment against rewards, I was a bit taken aback. To me, the desire for rewards (whether tangible or intangible) seems to be part of human nature. I still stand by that; however, at the same time, as I think about my "reward" system, I realize that I, indeed, have been focusing on balance more than rewards. Or maybe I would say that feeling balanced is my reward for some of my recent choices. Like many of you, carving out regular time to write and exercise (in a way I haven't done recently) has felt like a reward (or, at least, rewarding). I will also say that I have incentives to grade papers (different from a reward?) if it means I can go to my favorite coffee shop to have a cabbage chicken salad (or sometimes a mocha) while I do my work. It's more of a *during* than *after*.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, rewards seem inately human to me too, but perhaps they're something we're 'meant' to grow out of as we get more, what's the word, self-actualised or something? Small shiny projects are SO tempting... hope you find a way to 'park the chapter on a downhill slope' so that it doesn't stall if you do get the chance to do it.

      Delete
  22. Goal: Write 1000 words of article.

    Achieved? Nah.

    Commentary: Last week turned to custard, owing to getting more work (so money - Yay!), but then being mentally and physically wiped at the end of the day. This week, I've got plans, which I'm prepared to ditch if work turns up, but I'm also feeling a lot more focused. This is possibly because the article draft is due in about 2 weeks now(!!!!!) and also because my extramural classes are starting, so I'm getting a sense of structure and study back.

    I currently have focal blocker on, but haven't added this site, as it's not really a problem, usually. I've also spent some time fiddling with settings on my computer, and so hopefully things will work more smoothly.

    Goal: Write 3,000 words (notice how those word counts have been increasing?).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  23. Oh, and for a reward? I'm teaching myself to spin yarn, and I'm currently working my way through 500grms of alpaca. I'm allowed about ten minutes at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Woo, it's Monday night and comments are still open! Last week's goal: 1) Four 12-minute sessions 2) One book ms. submission

    Accomplished: 1) Two 12-minute sessions 2) Yes

    Analysis: Still a pretty challenging week, am pleased to have kept in contact with my work.

    Next week's goals: 1) Four 12-minute sessions 2) One book ms. submission (AND GOING TO MEET THEM THIS WEEK)

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm so sorry for disappearing for so many weeks, but thank you for keeping a place-marker open for me! I have been in such stress-alert mode that I have only been able to respond to immediate concerns, with no time to plan out goals or write about them. I am finding it horribly difficult to get work done, as the baby will not drink from a bottle and I have to do at least my basic duty by my teaching responsibilities. However, unfortunately I had to ask for an extension on a grant proposal that was due this Friday (now due in September; very disappointing but I have to be practical), and so will now be in a more long-term-goal-keeping mode for the next couple months.

    My goals for this week will be to simply start emerging out of last-minute mode: a)Surveys finalized and started collecting; and b) list of recently ignored responsibilities made, and some traction gained.

    Rewards: I have never really succeeded in setting up a reward system for myself; usually, if I can get some work done, that in itself feels like a reward. However, when I am in heavy avoidance mode, I do sometimes do a 8-minutes-work, 2-minutes-web-browsing pattern which often gets me productive again-- though I don't think of the 2 minutes as a reward, but rather as a promise of relief if the work is too miserable. I suspect that I, unreasonably (or at least unhelpfully), don't think it's ok to reward myself for things I feel I ought to be doing already!...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Both writing group leaders are sick today! Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete